Sunday 24 June 2012

A good O Level man

           I heard in the news that the Education minister wants to take us is back to Fifties Britain and somebody mentioned that GCE O levels are for clever children. Oh no, not what I recall. When I was at school I scraped five O levels on the first hit and another two on the resit. I actually failed O level Woodwork but got 85% a term later and two terms later grade A at A level (normally a two year course). I put that down to the woodwork teacher being sacked and an excellent completely eccentric but inspiring woodwork teacher taking over. However, sport and woodwork were what I excelled at. I felt pretty stupid generally and my sixth form classmates went on to University. I think you needed five O levels to get into Sixth form. Nowadays you will more likely get into university if you played with Transformers (killing machines) in your childhood.  It does seem that anybody can get to university so I am inclined to believe that standards were much higher in my youth. But more than that, there was a sense of history that was part of general knowledge that has been lost today. Churchill is an insurance company and the colour of Cheryl Cole's knickers is general knowledge.
         Curiously the words GCE O level triggered a memory - a few years (decades) ago I applied to be a part-time tutor at a prestigious furniture college in Dorset, made famous because one of its students was a nephew to the Queen. At the interview a psychologist had been hired! I remember during my written examination (!) him jangling with coins in his pocket which was making me feel nervous. He came over and criticised the way I held my pen in my left hand. I am left-handed as many creative people are! Later at what I can only describe as an intimidating interview he suddenly announced 'I see you haven't stated your grades at O level on your application form'. I was completely stunned by this and being the gentleman I am, I refrained from saying 'Oh I'm sorry I didn't realise you were looking for a good O level man' and promptly getting up and walking out. My highly accomplished artist sister (Barbara Broun) later suggested that is exactly what I should have done. The fact that I had won numerous regional and national awards since school seemed to slip the psychologist's attention! 
     When you look at the careers of people such as the late Paul Ghetty (once the richest man in the world), Lord Stokes (who was tea boy but became SEO of British Leyland) and Alan Sugar, one is reminded of the saying:

'Examinations are for failures'.
    
   

No comments:

Post a Comment