Saturday 17 September 2011

Carbeth Huts

My grandfather Allan Barns-Graham (above) and the Carbeth hutters (below) who payed their respects when his ashes were scattered at Carbeth Estate in 1957. Many would have walked the nine mile journey from Glasgow as they would continue to do for the regular swimming galas at Carbeth loch. For much of my youth, enjoying the privilige of staying with my uncle at Carbeth Guthrie and fishing on Carbeth loch, my memories were of a harmonious community of hutters in the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's, effectively self regulated.
   A very sad sign of changing times that since the late 1990's 'Carbeth Huts' has become such a political issue. To my understanding maintenance had been somewhat neglected in my uncle's time (he couldn't do everything) and reasonable improvement (there were previously no access roads or water supply) would inevitably result in rent increases! The issue became embroiled in the centuries old Scottish Land Clearances and my cousin, who I first played with at the age of four, being accused of trying to throw them off the land in order to develop it. I don't recall that discussion and at that time I was in  fairly close contact with my cousin, but I do know that in the south of England if rent is not paid the tenant is evicted. Some folks in Scotland still believe the land is God given, an interesting way to run an economy in the turn of the Millennium!
   The man on the left (in the hutters picture), standing next to my Uncle Patrick, was John Paton, the Carbeth estate manager. He told me many a story about poaching salmon in Scotland, but he also taught me the proper methods and we spent many hours fishing on Loch Lomond and up on the rivers of Lochgoilhead, skilfully bouncing a worm along the river bed!

No comments:

Post a Comment